The Communications Assistant is a key member of the Communications Department. Under the broad guidance of the Communications Director, he/she will implement communication strategies to promote Oceana’s campaigns in the Philippines. He/She will also be responsible for developing partnerships with media and other organizations and help disseminate information and create awareness about Ocean’s campaigns.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities are:
Communications for advocacy and awareness
- Work closely with the campaigns staff to ensure that relevant materials such as human-interest stories, reports, infographics, etc. are developed and disseminated to target groups through relevant media and network channels
- Assist Oceana’s campaign team in the development stage to identify appropriate communication activities
- Archive communication materials, including digital, such as publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources etc.
- Develop and maintain contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets (print, TV, radio, web etc.) in the Philippines to increase coverage of Oceana’s campaign issues in the media (print, broadcast and digital)
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, human interest stories, and other advocacy/information materials
- Collaborate with the media by organizing project site visits, facilitate photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of media coverage, clippings etc.
Digital Communications/Social media
- Work with the social media staff in the proper maintenance of Oceana’s country website and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) such as monthly monitoring, posting and content development
- Assist in organizing and generating public support for special events and campaigns to promote strategic conservation goals
- Support organization of workshops, seminars, campaigns, events, and project review meetings including agendas and meeting minutes.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate impact of communication materials and advocacy events/campaigns to target audiences.
- Support the development and implementation of strategies and activities to effectively represent, promote and protect Oceana’s interests and advocacy
- Suggest strategies to the Communications Director and Social Media specialist for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the communications campaign plan
- Provide regular inputs, information and statistics on a regular basis on communication strategies and report to the Communications Director
- Consider and analyze the implications of proposed actions and decisions
- Work with the Communications Director on collaborative projects/activities
- Assist in preparation of internal reports for the Board of Directors and foundations
- Maintain secrecy and confidentiality when working with sensitive information
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualification and other Requirements:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field
- Experience: At least five years of similar work experience is required. Candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral English communication skills. Proficiency in Visayan dialect will be an asset.
- Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy and courtesy. Must show initiative and exhibit an exceptional level of insightful planning skills and understanding of abstract concepts.
- He/she should have advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher). Candidates with basic design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe Photoshop and PageMaker are an added advantage.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive data, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, budgets, other issues and personal relationships.
- Must be able to successfully, diplomatically and tactfully handle inquiries.
- Must take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
- Must be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner.
- Ability to represent Oceana in a professional and courteous manner with scientists, policymakers, stakeholders, and the media.
- Occasional irregular hours and travel will be required.
Values and Ethics
The candidate should have high level of integrity, accountability, and punctuality and be willing to work beyond normal working hours. He/she should also demonstrate and be exemplary in portraying Oceana’s values and ethics. He/she should be a good team player.
Those interested may send their resume to - email@example.com