The communications manager is a key member of the Philippines management team. He/she will be responsible for the development and execution of Oceana Philippines International’s Communications Strategy and the management of the Communications Plan for Oceana’s campaigns. He or she will build relationships with the press and identify media opportunities for the campaigns of Oceana. He or she will assist in writing and developing campaign materials, and will write off on press releases, assist in developing Oceana’s stand on certain issues, and ensures the updating of the Philippine website.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements communications and media strategies that successfully deliver information and key messages to the public.
- In consultation with the Chief of Staff, External Affairs and Government Relations Director, senior management team and staff, develops and recommends an annual communications plan for each campaign and the Oceana brand.
- Develops, grows and maintains a strong productive relationship with both print and electronic media as well as all other media and communications channels.
- Sets goals, monitors work and evaluates results to ensure that objectives and operating requirements are met and are in line with the needs and mission of the organization.
- Plans and directs the work of the Communications unit and is responsible for establishing overall objectives and priorities for its direction.
- Works directly with the Chief of Staff, campaigns and the support teams to set overall campaign plans and strategies.
- Assists in developing strategic plans, which addresses critical issues in the communications area.
- Makes presentations to the Chief of Staff on Communications strategies and activities.
- Ensures that all press releases are properly coordinated with the Chief of Staff and signed off by the Vice President and the Science team for accuracy and proper alignment with what Oceana stands for.
- Provides strong, effective and highly visible leadership to the Communications team in order to capitalize on the full potential of this most critical resource.
- Ensures the organization is understood by the media and the media are interested in presenting information to the public in a manner that informs and educates them on the organization.
- Manages the use of external resources as they pertain to the communications function (e.g. advertising agency, printers, etc.)
- Keeps abreast of all trends in the industry.
- Responsible for supporting the development and implementation of strategies and activities to effectively represent, promote and protect Oceana’s interests and advocacy
- Suggest strategies to the Campaign Directors for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the campaign.
- Provides regular inputs, information and statistics on a regular basis on communication strategies and report to the Chief of Staff.
- Develops media/press kits for Oceana activities when applicable
- Considers and analyzes the implications of proposed actions and decisions.
- Works with the Campaigns/Legal/Science officers and associates on collaborative projects/activities.
- Assist in preparation of internal reports for the Board of Directors and foundations
- Maintain secrecy and confidentiality when working with sensitive information
- Other duties as assigned
Education and work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, marketing, public relations.
- At least 10 years of communications experience, with at least 6 years’ experience in leading, motivating, mentoring diverse communication project teams/direct reports.
Skills and knowledge
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy and courtesy. Must show initiative and exhibit an exceptional level of insightful planning skills and understanding of abstract concepts.
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills in English and fluency in local national language, Tagalog. Other languages will be considered an asset.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive data, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, budgets, other issues and personal relationships.
- Must be able to successfully, diplomatically and tactfully handle inquiries.
- Must take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
- Must be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner.
- Ability to represent Oceana in a professional and courteous manner with scientists, policymakers, stakeholders and the media.
- Ability to accommodate a varied workload in a fast-paced campaign environment. Flexible and collaborative member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Occasional irregular hours and travel will be required.
Those interested may send their resume to - email@example.com